View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Sheilz

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
Think about it. Most countries other than the USA have socialized medicine "FREE", but SOMEONE pays, and that is your government, financed by taxes....hardly "free". I have read, on some quilting group, that in many countries higher education is also, "Free", also paid for by your taxes. Retirement.....same thing. The more your government "gives" you, the more it must take from you....simple! In the USA our government will provide medical care, Medicaid, for those who declare themselves indigent and unable to provide for them selves. For the rest, we pay big time, or our employers pay. Before my husband and I turned 65 and got Medicare (old age benefit) we paid $1550 a month for our health insurance, and that didn't cover everything. I "need" fabric to be cheap.....hahahah.

I am USA born and bred, so our system seems "normal" to me, for others, just the opposite. It's a hot topic in the USA, with strong feelings on both sides. I'm 67 and still don't know what side I'm on. What is becoming clear to me is that in other countries the choices of items to buy, at least in the fabric/sewing area, are fewer....fewer machines, fewer fabric choices.

I HOPE I did not offend anyone, I tried to just state the reasons for why things are the way they are...like I said....I don't even know which is "best". It's a very complicated issue and I have only skimmed the surface.....many more facts to consider.

This is correct. In Scotland we have free prescriptions, health care and higher education - these matters are devolved to the Scottish govt. In England there is an £8+ flat rate charge per prescription except of course for under 16s and pensioners. English students also have to pay uni fees. As you say, it's what you grow up accustomed to. Your system is as alien to me as ours would be to you.