Old 05-30-2015, 04:06 AM
manicmike

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
I hate to sound totally dumb here, but what is different that makes it "transverse"? I don't have any idea what that means, really..............I did find some needles on line that "say" they are the 12x1 ....guess I will find that out, whenever I can get it going........it is pretty and its a really nice cabinet too..............
.I have a foot pedal that is from 1904 and I have had fun sewing on it.......it there something different between a tredle (sp??) and a shuttle machine or is that just another name for the pedal ones?.i have a lot to learn....I have the bullet bobbins on that one from 1904 and the one from 1919...wish the sidewinder bobbin winder would work for those too...........
Transverse is where the shuttle moves left - right, VS machines are front - back. 12x1 is the needle type, small round shank needles (no flat).

Treadle is what you think of as a pedal and is how the machine is powered. Shuttle refers to the bobbin carrier, nothing to do with the method of powering the machine.

You really need Google: Ask it anything like this and you'll have a library within seconds.