View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 AM
ThayerRags

Thanks. I just get really ticked if I can’t find the right screws, or can’t remember what order I removed things when going in deep, especially if it’s been a while since the tear-down. The stacking MW bowls help with that. It narrows things down pretty much to screw lengths when similar screws of different lengths are involved, such as with some cover screws. Trial and error solves that problem.

The container type is not as important as how they’re used. Keeping screws together with what they mount is the key. If I lay a screw or any other part on my bench surface, I’ll figure out a way to knock it off onto the floor without even trying.

I use the work bench shown (an old industrial serger stand) mostly for sewing machines, but there will be an occasional vacuum cleaner or store display stand repair getting time on it too. Plus the jewelry, belt, and purse repairs at times. And, there are times when I have a machine disassembled on the bench, and an “emergency sewing machine repair” comes in that gets immediate attention on the same bench. Then too, when harvesting parts from an old machine, screws from one machine will usually look like the screws from the machine being repaired, so I want to make sure that I don’t mix parts. Every machine gets its own set of containers.

I also didn’t mention that I photograph every machine and its cords, control, case, bag, tote-sack, 5-gallon can, or whatever came in with it, before I ever start in on repairs. Then, I put a small string-tag with the sewing machine model number and owner’s name on each item before stowing those things away. It has proven well worth the time.

CD in Oklahoma