View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Quincunx

Default Kenmore 14001 (low shank version)

Finally broke the curse of just missing out on Kenmore listings on CL. Now I have a Kenmore 1400 from 1971 with a narrow cabinet. And a knee control that needs to be checked and cleaned and maybe rewired. And a buttonhole plate only. And the handwheel knob is absolutely stuck right now so I cannot take anything off to look inside. Will it have one drive belt or two???

This one is very light green. A much prettier green to me than the 1217. It also has stretch stitch although only four kinds but that is enough. It has the clever needle plate insert and that makes it a center homing straight stitcher. This one I will keep. But it is very hard to be sitting here and waiting for the oil to get into the handwheel.

Pictures will come when I get the side plate off and find out about the drive belts. It turns over now but so hard I was afraid to do more than get the needle bar all the way up and take out half a needle. The other half must have fallen out before because the bobbin area was clean enough.