View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Basketman View Post
I still don't get it about a 1/4" seam and a scant quarter....my logic says that if everything is cut correctly and sewn the same and everything is off a scant amount, it is universally off in all directions and even if wrong...everything should match? I get if you are hit and miss in sewing exactly, then nothing will line up but this question keeps popping up and every time I am confused. I have never tested any of my seams to see if they are "off" and have never had a problem with matching up blocks to their neighbor, but then again I am only 6 quilts to the good and maybe just beginner's luck?
Actually, you are right. My original quilting teacher used to cal this your "personal, private measurement" or PPM. The only time it really affects you is when you are trading blocks with another sewer.
My own PPM is one click to the left of center on the needle position selectors of my 1970s and my 1990s mechanical Berninas, my preferred piecing machines. It's a bit less than 1/4 inch but I really don't care! I use the attached technique to be sure each seam I sew is accurate all the way down a long strip. With it I don't have to eyeball the edge of the pressure foot and can sew a long strip or any seam very quickly. And very accurately!

You make yours your way; I'll make mine my way!

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.gif