Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 AM
kglascock

HiRachel,
I will agree with what others have said. Go to a dealer and try them out. Dealers (if they are good) give free how to classes with the machines and can also help you if you have a prolem later on, usually right over the phone. I know my husqvarna dealer is that way. Dealers also have specials/sales quite frequently or even used ones that have been traded in. I personally only 4 Husqvarna machines, 2 fancy ones with embroidery (they were both used and traded in for newer models) a small basic one without a lot of bells and whistles but a great machine and a mega quilter with frame. Husqvarna, Phaff, and Janome are all owned by the same parent company. I believe Singer is part of it too. You can't go wrong with Pfaff, Janome, or Husqvarna. With Husqvarna and I believe Janome(you would have to double check) the presser feet are interchangeable, meaning I just snap the foot on and off and if you have another machine of the same brand use the foot on that. On another quilting group I am part of, people raved about the Janome 6600, not one complaint. Try them out and see what feels right. By buying from a dealer, you get free education and sypport, which may even help with your Brother. Buying online is sometimes a good idea if you are already familiar with the machine. Good luck,
Kim