View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by Deecee
I followed advice from Board members regarding monofilament thread after having problems with the thread skipping stitches, breaking and tangling.

Lower top tension, put your spool of thread in a container behind your machine and sew more slowly.

I also found the thread was jumping out of the thread/tension guides and then tightening until it snapped. I needed to frequently check that it was running smoothly through all guides and not twisting or skipping guides. I also use cotton in the bobbin.

Do a Board Search on monofilament or invisible thread and you will find some information.

Harriet Hargrave covers the use of monafilament in her book, the name of which I think is "Heirloom Quilting." In her class, she had us tape a safety pin to the top back right corner of our machine then, as Qeecee suggested, with the thread in a glass or measuring cup (something heavy enough to keep it steady), run the thread thru the end of the safety pin before threading your machine as usual. I believe the purpose is to slow down how fast the thread is fed or, as everyone has noted, it has something to do with the tension. Harriet also said to never use monafilament in the bobbin and, to use a really good brand such as YLI. Hope my attempt at picturing it helps.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-67857.jpe