Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Medieval Masterworks

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
Maybe. You'd still need to remake the spring.
Yeah, if it weren't for the broken, potentially bent, spring, I would have already had it operational. I was also told by the sewing machine repair shop I took it to that running a machine with the shuttle that rusty and pitted might not be a good idea.

Part of what caught my eye on this guy was the bobbin winder and reverse lever on him. I lucked out on him using standard needles, a fact that I am ecstatic about.

I intend on using the machine mostly for leather, with a few cloth pieces interspersed. I will not be doing anything like shoes, mostly garments and bags. A friend of mine has a comparable age and size singer that he uses for shoes to excellent effect.

The reason why I want a portable workstation is that I catch more eyes and end up selling more when I'm working on the spot and can do improv impulse buys for people. As of now all of my sewing has been done by hand, either with a stitching awl or with endless elaborate braiding. Which drives my cost up.

I would have gone electric, but I need to be able to stop on the needle raise or needle fall, and after using my Dad's industrial (yes the thing is actually industrial) Juki to stitch through my fingers because it went too fast, I wanted a slower paced machine. My Mom found this guy in La Grande and I fell in love with him. Which is good, because if I hadn't felt a connection towards the machine I don't think I would ever get good work from him.

Julia