Old 06-04-2015, 04:30 AM
janRN

I'm having a problem with charging for a quilt. Bev, it got you a little spending money and like OK said hopefully will lead to more opportunities and increased fees. A gal I used to work with asked me to make a quilt with Hot Air Balloons. If she wants a full size (and I think she wants larger which I won't do) it will take about 20 blocks. I made up one block, paper pieced, and it took me 3 hours. If I got $10/hour just for labor that would be $600 in labor alone. Then there would be fabric and batting, etc., which is about another $200. She can't pay $800 even tho I know the quilt would be worth that much. What to do? I'm going to try to convince her to have me make a bed runner. Even that would be almost $300; again, she can't afford it so I thought I'd tell her $175 and see how that goes. I hate to undercut the prices of other quilt artists. So I'm debating just saying no, I can't do it. Help me out, ladies--what do you think? I have to let her know by Monday. (Oh she also said and I need a baby quilt, too but I know she can't afford these things--she has my old job and I know what she makes and it's not a lot).

Safe trip, Anne. Hope QNS is having fun on her adventure.