View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Skylark53

I can't find the edit button for my previous post, so please excuse this double post. The pattern says to cut the fabric in order (I assume to ensure most economical use) so I am starting with the Poppy Garden fabric and I need 4 strips that are 2.5" wide by the LOF. (for the binding). I've squared up the fabric but I realize I'm going to have quite a struggle cutting such long strips and keeping them straight. I've looked up some methods that involve folding the fabric into a triangle like shape...which apparently will give a bias cut for the binding strips (I'm new to this whole bias thing). From what I've read, I understand that bias strips tend to be the most durable. But I definitely don't want to use bias for the next steps, which are the side borders (2 strips 7 x 60) and the coin strips (2 strips 2.5 x 45). If I cut the 4 binding strips on the bias using the triangular folding method, would that leave enough fabric uncut for the non-bias 7 x 60 strips? I'm having trouble visualizing all that.

In sum, I guess my question is should I cut the binding strips on the bias - and if not, how do I tackle getting straight strips out of a nearly 2 yard piece of fabric? The more layers I cut through, the more I tend to get that "v" shape towards the middle.