Thread: $13 a yard????
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 04:16 PM
k_jupiter

We all are different types of quilters. If i go through 30 yards a year, that is lot. But when I buy my fabric, it is usually at my LQS. Why?
1.)I want Eddie to stay in business.
2.) I like the wimmen in the shop fawning all over me.
3.) My time is much more valuable than saving money on cheap fabric.
4.) I give my quilts to people I love. They deserve the best. I give them the same quality I demand for my quilts for my beds.
5.) When I finish a quilt.. I say "darn (for you people with sensitive ears) is that a nice looking quilt, every color is deep and rich and well though out. You have to work very hard to do that with JoAnne's or Hancocks or Hobby Lobby.

As I said, we are all different quilters, we all quilt for different reasons. I applaud all you who spend your time making charity quilts for women's shelters, homeless folks, military returnee (big piece of my heart in that one), etc.
Those of you whos quilting ambition is to work through as much fabric as you can for someone else, good for you. I do hope occasionally you slow down and make one absolutely beautiful quilt for yourself, and damn (for those of you without sensitive ears) the expenses. You deserve to show off your skills with truly first class materials. Everyone of us deserves a quilt we made that makes our family and friends go "ooooooooh!" and "ahhhhhhhhh". Hard to do with cheap material.

BTW, for a queen sized quilt... use 105" backing material. Three yards. Much much cheaper in the long run and quilting without those seam lines in the back is great! I try to use Kona solids matched to a border or prominent color scheme of the front. timin sanjose