View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 PM
quiltjoey

As we watched the race and he won by 12 1/2 furlongs, I told my husband he had to have Arabian bloodlines. So I looked it up. I had an Arabian gelding for 17 years that I raised from a colt. The Arabians are raised for endurance and can go long distances. Quarter horses are good racing for a quarter mile. That's why they call them that. My horse had such a big, giving heart and would have let me ride him into the ground if that what I would have asked of him. Of course, I never did. I loved him dearly and was heart-broken when he died. He's buried in our pasture.
I knew American Pharaoh had Arabian bloodlines when I saw him run. He wasn't even tired or sweating hard at the finish line! He has huge hindquarters and great, wide shoulders. I loved seeing him run. I think he enjoyed it. Any crowd screaming like that would rattle anyone or any animal. I glad they figured out to use the cotton in his ears. He was magnificent!!

Read the last paragraph of the article below!!
[h=1]Darley Arabian[/h]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[TABLE="class: infobox biota, width: 22"]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #D2B48C, colspan: 2, align: center"]Darley Arabian[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]The Darley Arabian stallion painting by John Wootton
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Sex[/TH]
[TD]Stallion[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Colour[/TH]
[TD]Bay[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Owner[/TH]
[TD]Thomas Darley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #D2B48C, colspan: 2, align: center"]Awards[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]Leading sire in Great Britain and Ireland (1722)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The Darley Arabian was one of three dominant foundation sires of modern Thoroughbred horse racing bloodstock, the other two being the Godolphin Arabian and the Byerley Turk. This bay Arabian horse was bought in Aleppo, Syria, byThomas Darley in 1704 and shipped back to Aldby Park in England, as a present for his brother.[SUP][1][/SUP]
There he stood at stud, usually private but sometimes open to outside mares. He was Leading sire in Great Britain and Ireland in 1722. By all accounts, the Darley Arabian stood about 15 hands high and was of substantial beauty and refinement.[SUP][2][/SUP]
The Darley Arabian sired the undefeated Flying Childers. He also sired Bartlett's Childers, an unraced brother of Flying Childers, who was the great-grandsire of the extremely influential Eclipse. The Darley Arabian was to become the most important sire in the history of the English Thoroughbred.[SUP][2][/SUP]
In 95% of modern Thoroughbred racehorses, the Y chromosome can be traced back to this single stallion.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP]
Many famous horses such as Secretariat, Affirmed, Whirlaway, Man o' War, Seattle Slew, Citation, Ruffian, California Chrome, American Pharoah, and many more famous Thoroughbreds can be traced back to Darley Arabian.
[h=2]References[edit][/h]
[h=2]Bibliography[edit][/h][h=2]External links[edit][/h]