Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 AM
frannella

Originally Posted by KathyAire View Post
I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.
;->)

Kathy--I have been collecting fusible applique quilt kits (mostly Edyta Sitar's beautiful patterns and the coordinating Silhouettes over the years but I am finally in a position to start one of them. Edyta recently released a new pattern with coordinating applique pieces called Snippets which offer turned edge opportunities.

In your opinion do the machine-stitched raw edge or fusible applique pieces hold up to wear (as opposed, to say a wall hanging) and washing? If it isn't too much of an imposition, can you advise on which stitches you use (e.g., satin vs buttonhole vs zigzag, etc) and what you think of them? I have read a lot of applique books written by master sewers, but most of them were penned before the advent of fusible applique kits, and, IMHO, their authors kinda gloss over the wear & tear considerations.

I am torn between trying to avoid another major expense by buying Snippets, now that they are an option) or making turned edge pieces.

Would love your opinion and advice.

BTW, I don't don't do hand work, either--I can't, but I am concerned about how well machine raw edge and/or fusible applique hold up.

Many thanks, Fran