View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 PM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
If I bring anything else home it had better be water resistant... because it ( and me ) will be living at the curb.
I hear ya. I’m about in the same boat.

I passed up a nice Outdoor People-powered Sewing Machine Power Unit in one of the 30 yardsales that we went to last weekend (area-wide yardsale event), and got to thinking about it again today. So, I called the folks that offered it Saturday to see if they had sold it (I know them because I bought a Singer 31-15 in a Power Stand from them back in 2013). Nope, but their daughter had said she would take it to her farm house and put it on the front porch in case she took a notion to give it a spin from time to time. Mom said to give her a few minutes to call the daughter to see if she really wanted it. She called back and said her daughter immediately said to sell it. I can’t say that I blame her, and I think that I’ve made a new friend that doesn’t even know me.

So I now have a heavy duty stationary bicycle to convert to a sewing machine motor. It was made out of a bicycle and other parts by a 300+ pound aircraft mechanic and handyman that got desperate to lose some weight (I asked: he didn’t make it happen), so it is very well-built. It was left setting out in his yard when he went to a nursing home, and eventually given to the new owners as a conversation piece. It has set in their yard for several years, and they finally ran out of conversation about it and decided to get rid of it. My wife is simply thrilled with my $10 purchase (tongue-in-cheek). The price tag was $10 for the whole thing, or $40 for the antique implement seat mounted on it. I got a kick out of that.

Now, all I have to do is to figure out the speed reduction/coupling method to get it to actually drive a sewing machine. This should be fun. Just what I needed; another project. Could I be taking this "people-powered sewing machine" thing a little too far?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine585b_01.jpg   machine585b_02.jpg