View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 PM
quiltingcandy

First of all - stop and take a deep breath. Have you discussed this with your husband? How much of your stash do you actually use? Do you plan to have a place that you return to on a regular basis, a "home base" so to speak? Is there a family member that would let you store some bins of fabric? Knowing you will not add to them only remove fabric from the bins? For the next month or so, put what you use in a box or a drawer or 2. Then you can see what is not so necessary. If you are like me you have things like a rug hook that I haven't used in 25 years as an example. And there are a lot of nice to haves and needs. Your husband will need to understand that some items will not be sold or given away. This is just as much your retirement as it is his and you need to remember this too. My friend gave up her home to live on a boat but she gave her home to her son and is able to store a lot of what she would not give up at the house.

If you aren't going to have a "home base" that makes it harder - and if you are going to put a lot in storage for a long period of time it may be best to let it go. Without seeing your stash and how you currently have it organized it is hard to make any suggestions.

You are wished the best - relax, take one day at a time and maybe in 15-30 minute increments would be the best way to go through all your things.

Another thought - sell off as much as you can. Put the money in a special piggy bank and use it to buy new items as you need them? Granted new will be costly - but fun to buy.