View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 01:14 PM
HouseDragon

My Mom always said "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well".

"Well" not "perfect".

*LOL* I'm a slow quiltmaker because I'm a meticulous worker. But even with that, I'll fudge to get something to fit properly.

If your quilting stops being fun, ask yourself why. If it's the project you are working on, put it aside or give it away.

Remember that there's as many ways to do something as there are quilters. Try a new way: you may love it! Or not.

There are no quilt police! Or at least not any who can arrest you ..... but there are busybodies out there who take pride in pointing out to newbies what they are doing "wrong".

A mentor is a horse of another colour.

Speaking of colour: we all have our favorites and if you love the colours you've chosen to make your quilt, go for it!

Learn from your mistakes.

Keep notes: The new method you discovered on your own. The name and colour of the thread you used to quilt with. The adjustments you made to your machine to get a perfect decorative stitch along with the fabric (was it a batik?) and thread.

Maybe even keep a journal with photos of each quilt | project you complete with details on the fabrics, threads, pattern.

Last but not least, IMO a design wall is a necessity. Stepping back and having a huge booboo jump out at you can save hours of frogging.