Old 06-12-2015, 01:48 PM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
...I can see where the seller is between a rock and a hard place.
I’m not against giving free appraisals, as long as I’m not negotiating for the lowest price that I have to pay for something that I want. It’s a conflict of interest.

I just called him back a few minutes ago and gave him all of the Singer information about his machine that I had researched last night and this morning. I told him everything that I found about it, except the prices that I could find, which were all over the place as usual. His machine has some missing parts, and I even told him that they would be hard to source from what I had found. I asked him three more times for a price or a price range, and all he would tell me is that he knows what he gave for it several years ago, and wanted me to make an offer on it.

Neither the price that he gave for it then, nor the offer I might make for it now, will be of much real importance. It’s what he has to have for it now that’s important, and he won’t tell me. If I make an offer, and he thinks I’m low-balling him, I’ve insulted a good customer. I didn’t make an offer, and so for now, I’ve pretty much written that machine off. Bummer.

CD in Oklahoma