View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Elise1

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
I agree with this.... Yet these types of questions happen here and the response is expected to be all open and freesharing, and I wonder why we have to play by two sets of rules.
example - frequently when I show a quilt and give the pattern name, or others show a quilt, there is someone who will ask for a tutorial or ask for the center block size as a starting point to figure out the rest of the pattern. My initial thought to myself is to think "no, you can't have the information free at my expense when the pattern is available for purchase." But if that response were to be written, I see that either 1: someone jumps in to provide the information anyway, and 2: the person who politely said no ends up being vilified, and is perceived as not helpful, friendly, etc.

So, this dichotomy does exist, and just because we see it on FB and comment here doesn't mean we don't see it here and possibly comment somewhere else.
This happened to me when I posted a picture of a quilt I made with the pattern name. A member of the board sent me a PM and asked me to copy the pattern and send it to her. I contacted a board moderator and she dealt with the member. I think this is how we should all respond. I have seen the moderators working hard to protect copyright.