View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 09:21 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Honeslty -- I would not buy that pattern unless I was a rank beginner and wanted my hand held. Even then, patterns and craftsy classes are a crap shoot. Occasionally one is very well done and provides useful insights, but the vast majority I've come across are disappointing, not particularly accurate, and don't offer any details or tips beyond basic quilting directions.
That quilt is nice, but it's very easy, and it's by no means an original thought.
and

I must admit that I didn't see why this pattern would even call for asking. The title of the pattern indicates that she uses charm squares and jelly rolls. If they cut the charm squares, it kind of defeats the purpose of the precuts.

KristenJ
Thanks for this post. It is really interesting to see how other people feel about it. I also agree with both sides. LOL. Of course. I think if its a free or pretty well known pattern then its ok to "help" someone with the instructions. But if its an intricate or difficult or copyright pattern then that is different. If you paid for it then why should others get it for free? And I agree that the pattern writers do make their living or try to make a living doing that. They should be paid for their work like anyone else. Now I have also bought a pattern and a friend bought a different pattern and we swap and share. But I guess that's kinda contradictory to my above. I guess its really a case by case and person to person thing. LOL. Very interesting conversation though!
Pattern writers, like anyone else doing something, should do something "worthy" before they get paid. If it isn't particularly original, then maybe or maybe not they should get paid for it. Just because I can sew doesn't mean I automatically can sew for others. I've seen some say just because we sew we are "worth" $10-20/hour. Not true. Some aren't worth $1/hour. Just because I know how to put something in PDF format doesn't mean that I should try to sell patterns.

As to your swapping patterns with your friend. It is yours--you bought it and you can swap it. Just like a book--you can use it, share it, lend it, etc. I suppose some digital only patterns may try to tell you only have the right to use it and that it isn't really yours. Unfortunately that seems to be where we are going and I resent it. Pretty soon, we are going to only "own" print and ink books.

I've seen people try to sell Irish chain patterns.... Irish chain? Really?