View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Mornigstar

Pic looks same but my machine says 158.9411 -high shank feet. Figured it's about 1975-1980 manf time --just an interest to me. Some machines sit down into the cabinet but note these kind sit on top of the cabinet and are screwed on to be firm. A problem considering you have to take the bottom off to do all the oiling the manual lists.
There are about five screws to take bottom off but such well made machines.

Re: spring underneath --this is a U shaped spring . the bottom part of "U " is one piece but looks like 2 springs about 3 in long each. There is also a weird unusual shape metal piece that is behind the spring . There is a form that the 2 top wires of " U " may have to fasten . Sorry camera a problem . but sun I am going to work at getting a pic posted here if I can get it to pc. Have a manual on web now but nothing showing on it except how to remove machine for the lady that didn't know how to remove. I will never forget now.

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522242[/ATTACH]I have a 158.19410. I think I bought mine in the early 80's.

I wonder if your button that can be switched from the red dot to the white dot has the handle broken off. Here is a picture of my machine. It needs to be oiled and cleaned because it hasn't been used since 2001 when I got my new Kenmore. I also have another Kenmore that was given to us as a wedding gift by my parents in 1973. I have tried getting it out of the cabinet also but gave up. I need to see if I can get that one cleaned/oiled also. I will check the spring mechanism on that for you. The cabinet sits at the end of my sewing desk and is used to hold my small design board and helps with the weight/clumsiness of bigger quilts.