Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 AM
Maureen NJ

Originally Posted by rtm View Post
I am Marti Michell's husband. #5, Dunster is right about the "Machine Quilting In Sections" book. It was published in 2004 and still sells well. Can we call it "Classic?" When you can, use the gentle curve method to cut your batt when you are going to put it back together. The gentle curve avoids a weak line in the batt created by a straight line cut. Plug for a product! Our Fusible tape is the only one we have seen marketed for quilting that is made from non-woven fabric. All the others we have seen are knits. Non-woven is more difficult to feel in the quilt because it is thinner; stability is wanted, not the flex of knits, and non-woven delivers it; non-wovens are much less expensive than knits and our 2" width is much more suitable for gently curved cuts.
Thanks for the info about the woven/non-woven fusible tape. Did not know that. I have your wife's book and it has so much valuable information in there. I plan on use her method on a sampler quilt. My thought is to divide and cut batting into 2/3 and 1/3 but leave quilt top and backing alone. Quilt is about 100" x100". My question, which I don't recall seeing addressed anywhere, is how do you get the quilted section taught (?spelling) enough to hand baste the unquilted section to it. I use the Sharon Schamber method of hand basting. Thanks to everyone for any help you can give me.