Old 06-16-2015, 05:02 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
The guy in our guild presentation said it had to do with the way the thread plys are twisted together---they are designed to glide smoothly in the direction from spool to needle; but when pulled 'backward' up through the tension discs that small bits of the thread gets shredded off and will eventually cause problems. News to me!
That may possibly have been true long ago, but with the newer, thinner threads of today that are processed to be virtually lintless I'm still not swallowing it. The 'backward' pull-out is tension free with the foot up. No tension=no drag; no drag=no shredding; no shredding=no lint (aka small bits of thread).

Bobbin threads always run through the system 'backwards' because they're wound in reverse. Thread makers work hard to reduce linting for that reason and the better they get at it, the lower the 'need' to cut the top thread at the spool, my opinion of course.

I clean the disc area when I clean the bobbin area. Actually, I clean the entire thread path, upper and lower, and keep my machine covered when not in use to keep dust, cat hair, etc from finding their way inside it. Nope, 'backward pull-out' of my top machine thread is close to the very bottom of my worry list....right above a zombie apocalypse and invasion of body snatchers.