Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 AM
Snooze2978

I used to work in a 7-11 and we were told we couldn't sell after such and such date but that didn't mean it wasn't still good so we were allowed to take some of it home............they changed that rule later though. We then had to throw all outdated food in the dumpster which I thought was such a waste but then the tramps could rummage thru during the night for food so not a total loss. When I buy produce such as fresh veggies and I know I won't be able to use them up fast enough, I chop them up and put in the freezer for soups later on. Then all my work is done ahead of time when it comes time to make up my soups. I eat lots of soups during the winter months making a huge pot, splitting it in half and putting half in the freezer for another time. I chop/freeze carrots, peppers, mushrooms, celery, onions and even milk if I can't drink it fast enough before it spoils. I use the milk for my Impossible pies. I measure it out for the recipe so I just have to throw it into the blender once its thawed out. I hate to throw food out if I can help it. Right now I'm having an abundant crop of strawberries this year so I'm using them for my version of "Orange Julius" drinks, over ice cream at night, freezer and giving them away to my neighbors. My zucchini and butternut squash gets the same treatment, give away or prepared for future use and put into the freezer.