Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by joy
Hi Mimisharon, you say that you have made many cot quilts - do you mind telling me what patterns you used please... I have a couple to make and need some ideas... thank you....
sharon won't be here for a while, i think. she's tending to a family emergency and might not even be able to think about quilting or the computer right now.

i can't be 100% sure what her answer would be, but i'm sure you could use any pattern you wanted, but make sure it's no wider than a twin blanket. if you want it to serve as a blanket, it should be about 7 feet long - which makes 5 feet a good a good width. at that size, it will probably hit the ground on both sides, depending on the style of cot, but will be perfect for almost any soldier of any height to wrap up in on a cold night. make it from durable fabric that can take the punishment of frequent washing. choose colors and prints that can "disguise" a few stains here and there. white and pastels are probably not a good idea.

Log Cabins and pineapples are great for quilts like this. they go together quickly. you can make the blocks any size you want. they look good not matter which style of quilting or tying you use. you don't have to fiddle and fuss with a lot of complicated measuring and cutting for the pieces. the only piece you need to measure at all is the first piece. and they're great for using up scraps.

you probably already know how to throw together a log cabin block, but for those who've never tried it, i've attached a few files to go by.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-22851.pdf (7.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf
Attachment-39272.pdf (11.9 KB, 117 views)