View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Moonpi

I’ve bought things through the classified ads here from time to time – fabric, notions, and books. No problems and no great dollar amounts. I would much rather send money to a quilter than someone who picks up books or fabric at yard sales and has no attachments. I like knowing my purchase was bought from love.

That being said, at least 2-3 times a year here, police bust con artists selling high end sewing and embroidery machines through auctions ands then not delivering goods as promised. Sometimes, the items were stolen, sometimes rebuilt and not new, and sometimes never delivered at all.

Flea market vendors here have also been caught selling misbegotten wares locally. Cash businesses, and no records kept of where goods came from. I would hate to spend a lot for a machine, then have police confiscate it as soon as my registration was sent in for the warranty. If you sent money to a mail drop or a paypal account that no longer exists, you'd be out.

One recent offer from a first-time poster sounded exactly like that. No picture of the actual item, and an insistence that she could not return it to the reputable store it was purchased from.. I was very relieved when it was removed. Perhaps Rivka did not see that ad, so she did not understand the situation on that particular ad.

Since con artists are not likely to wait x number of days before posting, I am more inclined to think that is a good solution, but not sure how or if that would be do-able.