Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 PM
quilt938

Default Thinking about thinning the herd but have questions

well I didn't realize I had *quite* as many machines as I actually do ( a friend visiting tonight said she counted 27 just in the closet and that's maybe half or a teeny bit more than half though not all are antique/vintage a few are newer) some I've bought more than 1 of but a lot my mom bought more than 1 of or she bought me one then found another for herself. I'm learning a bit too late that right now with the shift I work and the callout, etc that I barely have time for quilting and learning to use a different machine here and there- let alone figure out how to use them all and even less time OR desire to do repairs. just squirting oil when needed can be a full-time job. I wish things were different as I love the old machines and would love to spend a day for each one...but it just isn't happening.

I keep seeing people say how they have parts machines...but I'm wondering...if I have a machine that works (for instance a fw, 301, 500, 401, 328, 99, 66, 15, 201...) is there any reason to keep one that's the same for 'spare parts' or as a 'backup' if I'm not able to fix it myself? I dont mean different decals or belt vs whatever you call it when it has a motor and no belt...I mean is there a likely chance a part will be needed for the machine and I wont' be able to find one? I have a shop that can fix antique and vintage machines and I'm thinking if something is wrong with the 301 or whatever I'm wanting to sew with to take it in, pay the spruce up price ($120 and up depending on parts and how much time is needed) and have a working machine that just needs oil and some regular use and rotate through the machines as the budget allows until all the machines I'm wanting to use are spruced up. once the wiring is fixed and all is working would the machine be likely to be worry-free for the rest of my life?! (i'm 48 LOL!)

I'm thinking of trading some of the duplicate machines at this shop or sell to some friends wanting some (301 and maybe 403, 503 that are duplicates or triplicates - 301 I have more than I thought and I only bought 2- the rest my mom found at various sales) I dont think sitting in the closet is doing them any good but I dont have time to sew on them all or even plug them in and run them not even on a monthly basis unless I ran extension cords to the closet and set a table up or hauled them out to the bedroom and plugged them in. I'm thinking one good working machine of each type and duplicates for different decals/colors and if it's a centennial maybe..not tossing anything to the trash pickup pile but I'm wondering sometimes if I've taken this a bit too far for the time I have to enjoy them when I've pretty much figured out i'm not in a place in my life right now where I can devote days to working on machines - and I don't have too much interest in doing anything but playing with the cams and sewing on them. not throw anything away but maybe glossing over stuff I already have (though featherweights are a toughy as well as anything with a cool color...) but 2-3 500s and a 503 and 2 401s and a 403 I'm wondering if that's just overkill...I also have 2 99's and they happen to have the same decals - shop has a 99 with older decals that's pretty and different...I have at least 2 long bed tan 301s and a couple of short bed black 301s - is there any reason to keep extras if I have one that sews well? (other than if i just happened to absolutely love that particular model?!)I think those parts are pretty easy to find right? and so long as there's a shop that can fix I should be ok right?

I know I've read some posts either here or on another forum about people thinning their herd..just sorta thinking out loud and been doing a LOT of spring cleaning that's gone into summer cleaning around here.I've been making space in my house for all the stuff I want and am finally getting space for sewing machines to be set up in cabinets and trying to decide whether or not to buy more cabinets or just replace some machines in the ones I already have. for my limited experience in 'collecting' I've discovered that I LOVE the look of the 15s - can't hardly walk past one without wanting it - even the clones - and I have a feeling I'll be grabbing clones when I see them at a decent price or I just 'want' it...also love the look of treadles/handcranks with the floral decals but since I dont come across those except at this particular shop and they're almost always $250 or more I don't see them becoming frequent additions - plus this shop doesn't usually have the floral decal machines...I also have an affinity for the late 50s machines for the cool dials. for sewing I love how the fw, 301 sew and the fun with the stitches on the 401 and 500 - but honestly I think they're kinda ugly looking I like the black machines and the cool colors not the tan/beige stuff for looks - just for sewing. I'm sure this shop isn't an equal trade- after all they gotta stay in business - but I should be able to trade for a machine I'm pretty sure I want to add or maybe some work done on the ones I already have or perhaps a cabinet.