Old 06-23-2015, 05:54 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Kelly_Y View Post
They asked for a quilt for their bed and I did promise them one. Not going to back out on that. I've made a tee shirt quilt for my own double bed in the past. It did end up on the heavy side, but I think that has more to do with using too much batting.

One thing I'm considering is making the top in quarters, then sewing those together. That should keep thing more manageable then working row by row.

And thanks everyone for the advice so far. Keep it coming.
Originally Posted by AZ Jane
Playing devils advocate here but are you sure you want to make a king size quilt? Will they really use it on their bed? Usually a t-shirt quilt is geared toward one person, so a lap/snuggle/over the back of the couch size may make more sense in the long run. Could you somehow make those blocks smaller, not sure as much blank t0shirt space, trim more to the design? Just a thought, unless you are determined to go king.
Originally Posted by KittyD
My thoughts are - are some of the T-shirts your sister's & some belong to her husband? If so, how about making 2 lap size quilts - 1 for her & 1 for him? Traditionally T-shirt quilts are heavy and I don't think they will be able to handle a king size quilt. I also agree that maybe you could cut the T-shirts smaller. Just some suggestions for you to think about.

I'm with these quotes. It will be huge. You could take four of those squares and make pillow cases or sham covers. Two on each sham. Or you could make them double sided; that would use eight of the squares. I just think the quilt will be huge with them all in one quilt.