Thread: Coats Thread???
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The C&C thread cost more per yard then the higher quality thread. You get less on the C&C spool so that makes the price of the spool seem cheaper.
This is what I discovered too. I did a pennies-per-yard calculation on several brands of thread about a year ago and found that C&C costs about the same as Aurifil!!

People say it's terrible thread but I find it's just fine in all of my machines. It's more linty than Aurifil, but not any lintier than Connecting Threads. I don't buy it anymore just because it's not a good deal - I stocked up on CT thread for when I need colors to show, and use a giant cone of beige Presencia for piecing. I also got tired of using 2-3 spools of thread per quilt.

Funny, when I bought my Janome 6600 I was told that C&C is terrible and I should only use Robison-Anton thread. The machine came with a box full of cones of RA thread, including three jumbo cones. Problem is...the thread is not very good!! I've found knots in three different cones! When I look real close...it looks no better than C&C and sheds just as much lint if not more. I use that thread for "utility" sewing and am slooowly using it up. My machine is not a thread diva at all, I could probably pull strings out of my jeans and it'd sew with them...but knots in the thread is something NO machine can handle!

So I would say - take your dealer's thread recommendations with a grain of salt. Sometimes they really know what they're talking about, other times they're either just parroting what THEIR sales rep told them or trying to move product that they sell.