View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Genden

Default How often to have machine serviced?

I had a Viking sewing machine for over 40 years. It saw me through a lot of sewing with little complaint. I cleaned out the lint and oiled it regularly and only took it in for service less than half a dozen times. I just had a cracked gear replaced, gave it to my grand daughter and bought a Bernina 380 so I could do blanket stitch applique. I have had it just over a year and because my husband is ill, been in the hospital and rehab for a month, I missed the first anniversary complimentary servicing. They told me if I missed the birthday, I am out of luck--no mail or internet reminder. My question is, how often should you have these new machines serviced? It costs $90 if there are no problems and they keep it a while. How often is really necessary? Because my husband has advanced Parkinson's and Parkinson's dementia, I can never leave him alone, so it is hard for me to take it in. Caregiving is hard, but I don't want to do the machine damage. Now and again I am able to work on a quilt--it is my little bit of sanity.