View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 AM
IrishNY

I have always owned Berninas but bought the 8200 recently. I have mainly used it for piecing and making a bag. Haven't tried FMQ on it so I can't report on that experience. I love the wide harp, the automatic thread cutter and that its default needle is down. It's very quiet and runs smoothly. There are LOTS of features and stitches I haven't used so I assume I will be learning more as time goes on. I like sewing on it even more than I expected.

The less positive aspects of the machine - the foot pedal that comes with the machine is cheap and very small. I had to buy the larger foot pedal ($90 - $100) to have a decent sewing experience. When sewing the bag, I was trying to stitch lines along the handle which was fairly thick and the Janome couldn't handle it. I fought for a few minutes, gave up and got out my Bernina 440 which did it easily and beautifully. I had ordered the 8200 edge stitch foot for the project - I found it to be cheaply made and not terrific quality, especially in comparison to Bernina feet which are admittedly more expensive.

Overall, I like the 8200 a lot and will continue to use it but would not be happy if it were my only machine. For me, it's the fine details of a project that mark it as well done or amateur looking, and I will still turn to Bernina for that sewing.