View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 06:21 AM
Sewnoma

Default Dating a 319W...records lost?

I fiddled with my newest toy last night but got so engrossed in trying to research it that I ran out of time and never even plugged it in! Seems like the evenings when I have the least free time are the evenings when I've just gotten a new machine.

I don't even have my own pictures yet; here's a couple of 'em from the eBay listing. My newest darling, a 319W:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523533[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523534[/ATTACH]

Dating this thing...and figuring out where it's made...has been difficult. I'm finding conflicting information on what the "W" in 319W stands for - one source said it was some city in Germany; another said it was for "Wheeler & Wilson" because it was built in an old W&W factory. Not sure if it's from the US or overseas, not sure how old it is... The serial number starts with a W too, and no listing on ISMACS or the Singer site for W serial numbers. Some sources say the machine was only made from 1957-1960; then someone else has a receipt for one bought in 1953?

CD - I ended up on YOUR website at some point in my Google journey, I see you have a couple of these too!

I'm guessing records were lost at some point, but does anybody have any ideas about how old this machine is and where it was made? Or is it just going to have to remain a mystery? I don't REALLY need to know, of course, but I like knowing that sort of thing about my machines.

I like it. I think it's really neat, I LOVE those levers on it. I can't believe I let myself run out of time searching online rather than playing with it last night, I can't wait to sew with it! Everything moves nicely by hand, it appears to have been well maintained (or just not used much) and the bobbin case doesn't look too beat up either and hasn't been modified. It has a 206x13 needle in it, and I've ordered more.

It has named itself "Verne" for some reason - I think for Jules Verne, probably because those key-levers look kind of steampunk to me. And maybe a touch of "verdigris" because of the green color.
Attached Thumbnails singer316w_1.jpg   singer316w.jpg