Thread: Finding a 301A
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Jeanette Frantz

The only machines I have are vintage, bordering on antique (one of them). I have a Singer 328K -purchased new in 1963; two Singer Touch 'N Sews 750 -age unknown); a White Featherweight - 1954; a Singer 1425 - age unknown; a National Two Spool Treadle - estimated - early 1900's; a Singer 403A - 1950's; a Baby-Lock Serger -age unknown); a Singer 201-2 - 1952; a Singer 185-J -age unknown right now; and a Singer Athena 1200 (I think) and age unknown. Most of these were inherited, but the 403A was purchased from Goodwill for $41; and the White Featherweight also from Goodwill for $50. I don't really claim to collect these vintage machines -- mostly my son picks them up if he finds one in good condition. Since he worked as a Sewing Machine Mechanic for 14 years, he can tell when one is in good condition. I am hesitant myself to buy machine off E-Bay, but that is more a phobia speaking than experience. I can tell you that the White Featherweight and the 403A are both very good machines -- I've used both of them for piecing and find them both excellent for that task. I don't buy and sell machines (or anything else) but just from a practical standpoint, NEVER buy anything and have it shipped without it being insured for the purchase price and your shipping costs. I wish I were qualified to give you more advice, but truly, I'm not! LOL Welcome to the Board. I hope some of us can be of assistance to you! Happy Retirement!

Jeanette