View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 AM
HouseDragon

We moved from Austria to Kaua`i, so hand carrying anything (except jewelry) was out of the question.

We packed the sewing machines into their hard cases which were heavily wrapped in special "squishy" stuff by the packers before being put in a box. Then I watched in amazement when the very professional Austrian packers built wooden cases for my antique machines which were also wrapped in the squishy stuff. They also built wooden crates for each piece of antique furniture.

Given that I don't know a USA moving company that is that professional, I'd follow the lead of the Austrian moving company and build my own crates for any machine that doesn't have a hard carrying case. I'd also add my own squishy wrappings and make sure they went into boxes "as is".

BTW, when we moved to Austria, I packed all my antique items myself including dishes. Yes, the moving company will tell you they won't insure anything you pack yourself. Ha! Having moved before and had breakage, the amount of money you receive wouldn't buy a fly swatter! Better to do it the right way yourself and take your chances knowing it was done correctly!

Do I sound bitter? I learned the hard way the very first time we moved many, many years ago when we were first married and had almost nothing to our names: some very precious dishes I'd inherited from my grandmother arrived smashed after being assured the packers knew what they are doing and would "do it right."