Thread: Tie quilting
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 AM
cande

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
My mom differentiated between quilting and tying - she said one was a quilt, and the other a comforter. Regardless, both require love and a lot of effort! :thumbup: All of us children recieved comforters from Grandma as babies - for some of us, the ties became a comfort thing. My sister tended to rub a tie between her fingers. It helped her go to sleep.

I agree about the square knot. They stay in better.

Has anyone discovered how to keep ribbon tied? I used 1/16" ribbon to tie one for my (college age) daughter, and the ties are coming out.
That's what Mom said too, that if it's tied, it's a comforter. The sewing through the layers is what makes a quilt a quilt. And like I said, I've tied a few too. I'm sorry that people took my statement as a put-down as that wasn't how I meant it. I can't "quilt" a quilt on my little machine, the throat isn't big enough, that's why I have to either send them off or tie them. I don't have the patience to hand quilt them. I remember all the long hours with Grandma and her neighbors sitting around the quilting frame....