View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 06:08 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
If you haven't frogged yet, the easiest way to remove dense stitching is to start at the end of the stitching line: pull up the top thread and the bobbin thread will "pop" to the top as a loop. Using your seam ripper, pull the top thread through the loop. Pull the bobbin thread loop back down to underneath.
Repeat.
Don't cut or shorten the bobbin thread but instead wind it around a finger from underneath to pull those loops back down. As the top thread gets "too" long to quickly pull through the bobbin loop on the top side of the quilt, clip it!
You'll be able to remove even the most dense or tangled mess using this technique.
I use this method to remove even simple boo boos. You won't have a kazillion bits of threads to remove. It doesn't leave big holes from tugging the threads. It doesn't distort bias edges.
Hope this helps someone save a beloved quilt.
I would love to see a video of this action. Or better yet, see you do it in person. Sounds like a good way; one I've never heard of before. Now I have to go sew a line of stitching on some scrap and then try to take it out. LOL