View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM
ThayerRags

My wife sewed with her Featherweight each evening in the motels, but I never did sew with my machine. Hers is electric and mine is handcrank, so we were ready to sew at about any place that we wound up. Instead, I watched cable TV (we don’t have that) or read the 1954 Reader’s Digest that my wife found early-on at a junk shop. One of the stories in the “Life In These United States” section began with: “One day as I was driving in New York, the woman in front of me turned right without putting her arm out to signal.” You don’t see stories that start like that much any more....

The treasures that we found along the way included matching fabrics for a quilt that my wife is planning to make. She took along two fabrics that she had, and then bought matching/complimentary fabrics to go along with them. She bought something at every shop, and will decide which fabrics go into the quilt and which fabrics go into her stash for another project. I came home with an empty Singer attachment puzzle box ($5) in excellent condition, a pair of rusty Wiss shears ($12) that should clean up nicely, and a three-legged adjustable wooden stool ($10) that is a little wobbly but might be tightened up to be useable again.

The other treasure that we found that might be the most important, was a giggling good time with each other, totally void of any pressures to be anywhere at any time. We recommend a “Flip-Out Vacation” to anyone who wants to get away from their daily grind for some much-needed relaxation. In four days, we ended up only 7 hours from our home, but saw a nice piece of rural Oklahoma and rural Texas, and met some very interesting people.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20150701_day4.jpg   20150702.jpg