View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
It's something I want to learn how to do. My boss doesn't think the old machines are worth re-wiring. He doesn't want to do it. So he usually tells the customers, he won't do it. We fix cut wires with connectors and electrical tape, when the customer doesn't want to pay for a new foot control. But some of these machines don't have any insulation left on the wire -- that's when it's dangerous. I can solder a new capacitor into a foot control, but no one has ever taught me the right way to do it. The local tech college has a soldering class, that I'd love to take. Maybe there's a class near you.
I think that's a "Time is Money" type decision. It takes more time to rewire a machine than to just hook up a new cord set and controller. Parts cost is passed onto the customer.
It makes sense for me to rewire machines because it's cheaper to buy the supplies than it is to buy a new cord set and controller.
Soldering isn't hard to learn. A good electrical repair book and a few youtube videos might be enough to get you started.
Rodney