View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 10:19 AM
zebazga

I believe the quilt I am making will be 108 x 112 without pulling the pattern up. I'll make the pattern four times and sew those four blocks together to make the king size quilt. Here's a page talking about the quilt with a lot of pictures at the bottom: http://lucysquilts.blogspot.com/

Basically, it uses denim squares to give a stained glass effect. There are denim blocks in 2", 4", 6", 8", 10", and 12" sizes. There are not many 10" and 12" blocks, so there are many more smaller blocks. Each block is sewn to a 1" black strip that looks like the leading in a stained glass.

For the piecing, I bought 1000 yards of King Tut Edwardian Blue. On some sites that blue looks great for denims and in others it looks too brilliant. I asked the store to cancel my order if they didn't think it would work with denim and black.

I've been cutting the seams out of the jeans and that's been making my hands sore. I hope that's the worst part and cutting isn't as hard on my hands and arms, but I'm not hopeful. This is by far the largest project I've ever done and I hope to have it finished by Christmas.

Thanks for all the input and advice (more needles!) and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.