View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 06:40 AM
ghostrider

I think the next time I have something that needs to be prewashed I'll run an experiment. I'll wash half using a regular full cycle and half using a gentle cycle, no 'adjustments' to the fabric itself (no serging, straight stitching, seaming, zig-zagging, pleating, pinning, corner clipping, block cutting, pinking, overcasting, end joining, etc).

For half the regular cycle batch, I'll trim loose threads and shake out the fabric pre-drying. The other half will go in the dryer 'as is' right out of the washer. Same two cases for the gentle cycle batch.

All pieces will start out with the same measurements and will be cut from the same yardage. Photos will be taken of each step along the way and final measurements will be noted.

The working hypothesis: Machine washing in a gentle cycle followed by trimming threads and shaking out the fabric before machine drying results in no knotting, less fraying, and fewer wrinkles.

What a great reason to go buy 4 yards of fabric!! It's all in the name of Science!

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-06-2015 at 06:42 AM.