View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM
romille

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Yes, charge her. She is a willing customer. Because what would happen next is the boyfriend's daughter (theoretically speaking) will want one. And then the daughter's brother-in-law will want one. Making quilts per others' requests is not the same as making what appeals to you. Time and labor and money will be spent to do this for the MIL's boyfriend, which is time that you can't recoup. I would specify a price of $350 for the quilt shown in a lap size. Negotiable from there if the customer feels differently, in which case you and she can arrange some type of bartering arrangement.

Wow, the prices you guys are giving are much higher than I would have ever thought! People really pay this much for a quilt? I was thinking I might charge her $50-75 on top of the cost of materials, and was feeling a little guilt about it.

I already know this is going to be different than what appeals to me. I started looking at patterns and the one I chose is the only one that remotely interested me. I prefer more intricate things. For this I had to choose a completely different mindset. And, I HATE ECU. Nothing to do with sports, but I grew up in Greenville. My house was positioned between dorms and their football stadium. I could happily go a lifetime without ever seeing purple and gold paired together again.