View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Dina

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
The June Tailor Shape Cutter ruler helps. With the current 50% off coupon, you can get their basic shape cutter for $12. Just lay down 4 layers of fabric (assuming you have a good rotary blade) and you can cut 4 sets of "jelly rolls" without moving your fabric (i.e., you get 16 strips at a time). The only downside is that the strips are only 12.5" long with the basic shape cutter so unless you're going to fold your fabric into quarters (which is possible), the strips won't be very long. Still, even if you go with their longer shape cutter ruler so you only need to double the fabric, it costs less than a single jelly roll & you can pick your own fabrics, while saving money from the get-go.

I like picking out my own fabrics, so yes, I do cut my own strips. I'm making a single irish chain right now & cut all my strips except the white ones. I ended up caving & buying a jelly roll of Moda Bella in Snow. Best money I ever spent. I really h-a-t-e cutting. It's probably my least favorite part of the process.
I use the June Taylor Shape Cutter all the time to cut 2 1/2 strips. I fold my fabric in fourths...from selvage to the center ... and it cuts a WOF quite easily.

Dina