View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 02:38 AM
ruby2shoes

Default Homemade yoghurt

Grrrrr, the thermostat in my yoghurt incubator was playing up....after years of lovely homemade yoghurt what was I to do? (a) Buy another one......no, feeling too grumpy, (b) buy store yoghurt......no too expensive and not as yummy as my own, (c) never eat yoghurt again......are you kidding!!!!!!!!

So, after a day or so of trawling the 'net I scrounged out from my back cupboard a small insulated lunch pack, and 5 very mismatched old jars which, by their labels had once held a weird assortment of pickles, relish and gherkins. I made my yoghurt in the usual way and then popped my filled jars into the insulated bag along with a heated wheat bag. Zipped it shut and put an old woollen beanie over it. Before going to bed I reheated and replaced the heat pack and left it for a further 7 hours. Next morning I retrieved my little jars, popped them in the fridge and 24 hours later I had the best yoghurt I have ever made. This yoghurt method consistently gives me a better tasting yoghurt that has a longer fridge life. It even works using frozen starter that I've thawed out.The electronic yoghurt maker has been shoved to the back of the cupboard never to see the light of day again! Happy dancing!