Thread: Bel Air Bantam
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 PM
DonnaMiller

Aluminum machines are interesting. They don't rust, but corrode readily. Usually it happens when the paint is chipped and the corrosion has to be scraped away and sealed either with paint of clear finish of some kind. A lady once used clear nail polish. Anyway, it stopped the corrosion and it was what she had. I recently redid a White 77 and the bed was peeling badly so polished the bed and primed it with Rust-Oleum, Aluminum primer and then painted with Rust-Oleum, hammered finish paint to blend with the wrinkle paint. It looks good enough and saved the machine from terminal aluminum rot. Those machines are notorious for peeling paint. I have seen a lot of them on Ebay with that condition. They used to be really cheap, but the price has also made them popular and now they are going up in value. They sew well and some parts are still available. The aluminum machines should be light, but not as light as you would think. I can however carry it with one hand. I just happen to like aluminum machines for some unknown reason.