View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Bubbie

Copyrights protect this designer from you using his/her WRITTEN directions (you may NOT copy in any way shape or form), and sell or give them away (or use them in teaching classes). This also hold true on his/her PICTURES of the finished work (like on the outside of the pattern or from books). These are the ONLY items that they have sold to you. The work you do is YOURS. Like most of us, you will end up changing things in some way after you've used this pattern for the first time. Small changes not adding the binding the same way, making your boarders larger or smaller or even skipping the boarders all together. I've taken embroidery patterns and turned them into appliques, have also turned appliqued patterns into embroidery work. I have problems with people who try to scare others into reading more into what is legal as well as what is enforceable. I live in an area that a few years ago a man was running for mayor of the city, like most people running he had signs printed up with his NAME on them. One of the things that got peoples attention, was when it when he received a "Seas and Deceits" letter. All it did was get this mans name more attention as well as the company who wanted him to STOP using "It's Name", all because he had the same legal name as a Trade Marked name. Don't think the company didn't end up with some EGG on it's face, they couldn't stop him from using his own name. So Trade Marks and Copyrights all have limits. Don't let them bluff you.