View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 11:29 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

The Tabberone article is only addressing pattern TEMPLATES, like the shaped pattern pieces in your Butterick or Simplicity clothing pattern envelopes. It's different law for artwork, like an embroidery design, or for written text, like a written knitting pattern.

I'm not saying this is you, but this Tabberone article is the one always quoted by people who are looking to circumvent actual copyright law. If Tabberone said it's okay, they can take it. But it's apples and oranges, folks.

I guess the only sure way to know you are violating copyright law is when the lawsuit papers arrive in your mailbox, (or if you are lucky, a 'cease and desist' order, first.) Better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
The copyright pertains only to the written instructions that you purchased. You may not copy and sell/give those instructions. The pattern designer may not tell you how many quilts you can make or what you do with them once completed. There have been many discussions on this board and I suggest you search for a discussion about "Tabberone"....I think that is the subject. There is lots of information out there that is false, mostly coming from people who don't understand the copyright laws.