View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Bree123

Default Fabric Painting or Landscape Piecing?

My next quilt has a seascape background. I've been struggling with how to construct the background & seem to have 3 options.

1) Custom printed fabric. Unfortunately, Spoonflower only prints up to 42"W & I need 60"W fabric for my quilt. Is anyone aware of a semi-reasonably priced service that prints custom fabric?

2) Pieced fabric. I would really love to create a pieced seascape design, but haven't found any classes to teach this skill. I guess I could take a landscape piecing class; I'm just not sure if I would gain enough of the skills I need to do my quilt (80-90% needs to be open sea; the rest is sky)

3) Painted fabric. I never considered this to be an option until I saw an ad for Annette Kennedy's Craftsy class "Painting Pictorial Quilts". Nearly all of the 139 student projects look amazing. Maybe I actually could learn to paint on fabric. So I guess my biggest remaining concern would be whether I would like the texture of painted fabric. I worry it would be stiff and that it may be difficult to do my hand applique and embroidery work on top of a painted surface.

I know all you QB members are always full of wisdom & experience. Any thoughts on which way to go and how to learn the skills I need to get there?

Thanks bunches!!!
Bree