View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Bree123

Batiks often will need 3 times through the washer to get the extra dye out. That's especially true with batiks from big box stores, in my experience. If you are washing the same color fabrics in the washer, there's really no need for the color catchers. Their only purpose is to keep the fabrics from bleeding onto each other. I usually will wash my batiks at least once on their own before trying a Color Catcher. If it is a dark or highly saturated color, I tend to wash batik fabric twice before putting in a Color Catcher on round 3. Since I wash only in cold water & set the size of the load on my machine, it doesn't use too much electricity, and at least I save on the Color Catchers.

btw -- it's up to you, but I don't ever wash fabrics in hot water. I wash everything in cold water & tell recipients/clients to do the same. It prolongs the life of the quilt & helps reduce likelihood of colors running. Of course, some people are just gluttons for punishment & insist on treating homemade quilts like they are a K-mart blue light special. I can't imagine ever giving someone like that a quilt, but I guess that would be justification for warm/hot wash. Mostly, though, I think the instructions about washing fabrics in warm/hot water are from the "olden days" before laundry detergents existed that could effectively clean clothes and remove stains in cold water. I know plenty of people in their 20's with young children who wash all the clothes on cold with Tide Coldwater & never realize we used to do differently.