Thread: Janome DC1050
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Bree123

Thank you all. Yes, I will be test driving different machines starting tomorrow with the Bernina. I really dislike their stitch regulator. It just seems too confusing to me, but maybe I will like the other features enough to enjoy it. I'm also going to visit a Janome dealer (they also sell used Janome's since they have an on-site repair center in the building next door) on Tuesday and a Singer/Viking dealer later in the week. I really love my Singer Genie, but I've read so many complaints about the newer Singers that it has me a bit worried. I like their price points & the fact that their machines come with more of the features I want for less money, but I'm just not sure about their service issues. We'll have to see.

I like the Janome dealer the best. But I may also check out the Vacuum Repair shop near me as they have several used models of nice sewing machines. The one feature I am having a harder time finding at my price point is the Start/Stop button. I have pain from an auto accident where my foot was on the brake & got jammed backwards so I'm always making these creative little ergonomic platforms for my speed control pedal to reduce spasms that cause uneven stitches on occasion -- the one time I grab for the seam ripper.

But I guess as far as precision piecing & smooth FMQ, probably the only way I can know what works for me is to try out the different options. I like that pretty much all the modern machines have a blanket stitch so I can do some machine applique if I choose to (children's hospital charity quilts require machine work for applique to ensure they will hold up to frequent washing). They also all seem to have a triple stitch, which is the one decorative stitch that I really love for home dec.

I don't really love shopping (except for fabric & notions!) but I guess this will be fun to get to try out so many different machines. I'm bringing my own fabric & quilt sandwiches so I can compare the different models. My brother/SIL & sister/BIL will each get a couple new changing pads out of it, too. So that will be nice.

Thanks for the feedback, Jean. I will definitely keep this machine in mind when testing. It looked like a nice machine on paper.