View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 10:50 AM
wildyard

Default My new ironing/cutting surface

I had an old dresser in my basement. I had a big desk in my sewing room that seemed to always be used for piling stuff on. In summer I did my pressing on the back porch. In winter I did my pressing in the master bathroom. I did my cutting on top of the hottub in the back porch room, summer and winter. Clearly something needed to change.
My lightbulb moment came when I realized the dresser was several inches taller than the hottub, and I was getting backaches when cutting. I needed to make the dresser into my cutting surface. So if it was going to become my cutting surface, why not my ironing surface also?
And if I am going to have that, why not have it in my sewing room rather than a desk that just collects stuff on top of it? Thus the plan! Fix up the dresser, make a new reversible top and trade it out with the desk! I decoupaged the drawer fronts with pictures from gardening catalogs.
Here are photos of the finished project: The ironing cover looks loose but I am able to tighten it with the drawstring; I just didn't do it for the photo.
Attached Thumbnails cutting-surface.jpg   3-ironing-surface.jpg   ugly-duckling-dresser.jpg   4-new-fronts-drawers.jpg  

Last edited by wildyard; 07-18-2015 at 10:55 AM.