View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 02:19 AM
miriam
Power Poster

It feels good to win one. My first rescue was a curbside 401G - it was covered in garbage - doggiedoodoo, grass, etc. The table was trashed. That ugly machine was not turning and the stitch selectors were frozen & motor growled, wires missing. tension buggared. I worked and worked on it. I think I used WD40, Liquid Wrench and 3in1 oil. It was a disaster. The 3in1 oil set up like concrete and I had to redo all that. The LW wasn't so cool on the finish and I think leaves a residue. The WD40 did nothing to help the situation and gassed me.. After that I went over it with Kerosene - it was slow go with that. I think I finally got it moving except for the cam stack. I kept oiling it and it would move one day but not the next. I think it took me about a year to get it right. I intimately knew that machine after a while thanks to a repair manual. I think when I discovered Tri-Flow was when I got that stitch selector correct finally. I acquired other machines like it and learned quite a bit along the way. I doubt if I would have tackled that 401G if I hadn't done other repairs on 'working' machines. I'm thinking you might need a challenge next. Keep picking the trash!!!

Last edited by miriam; 07-19-2015 at 02:22 AM.